Friday, November 18, 2005

After Effects Error: Sound Component, Quicktime 7

Today while trying to render video from AfterEffects (v. 5.5) I got this error:
"Opening sound component (-2166) (10::44)"
You can't render video (with sound) or even RAM preview any video containing sound in After Effects.

So, through some digging I found that my recent upgrade to Quicktime 7 was the culprit. The fix: uninstall QT7 and install a previous version (6.5.2). Here's the link for version 6.5.2:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/quicktimedownload.html

The problem: Quicktime7 was installed with the latest version of iTunes. If you uninstall it and go back a version, iTunes won't run.

If anyone has another workaround please post a comment. I imagine buying the latest After Effects upgrade might fix things. Maybe not.

I'd like to keep QT7 and iTunes if possible. As it is, I won't be using After Effects for a while, so I'm now going to REinstall Quicktime7 so I can listen to iTunes.

12 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, November 18, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

What the heck - I can't live without iTunes!

 
At 6:54 AM, December 12, 2005, Blogger wLinkin said...

Thanks billpealer. I didn't know they had a QT7 standalone yet. I'll give it a try.

- Wayne

 
At 11:15 AM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Joseph Chiang said...

it seems there's a problem with Mac versions too. i can't render or do ram preview for audio files.

 
At 1:28 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger JRM said...

I'm finding it difficult to just uninstall qt7 from my mac (osx).

 
At 7:08 PM, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I installed Quicktime 6.5 but I still can't RAM preview any audio :(

 
At 5:45 AM, November 22, 2006, Blogger Gene Fowler said...

Here's what's working for me.

1. Uninstall quicktime 7.

2.Install quicktime 6.5.2 from the link you got from this blog.

3. Re-install quicktime 7, but when it comes time to choose the folder to install it in. Make a new folder, I called mine Quicktime 7.

4. So far so good, I have itunes running and I'm scrubbing sound in AE and there's been no errors yet. Although it's only been 10 minutes...argh... I'll let you know.

gene.

 
At 12:15 PM, November 22, 2006, Blogger Gene Fowler said...

Nope that bullshit didn't work, sooner or later it'll give you that damn error.

Like Highlander, there can only be one. So I uninstalled QT7 and now everything is great with just QT6.

UGH! i miss me itunes.

geen

 
At 12:07 PM, December 12, 2006, Blogger JRM said...

mm. sometimes I get away with redering with audio (small files - 2-4mins).
I agree, they want us to upgrade. If you can keep a secret I got my version at college off a friend, I would have to fork out the £1000 or so for 7. That's not gonna happen anytime soon!

 
At 12:07 PM, December 12, 2006, Blogger JRM said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:57 PM, December 18, 2006, Blogger Gene Fowler said...

I upgraded to AE 7.0 and all is now fixed and fine and beautiful.

 
At 8:45 PM, May 05, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:25 AM, October 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question, if someone can help. Suddenly, on most web pages that I visit, I get a lot of "borken Quicktime logo" images on the screen. YouTube, for example, will not run anything anymore on my machine. I'm running Quicktime 6.5.2, on the Wind2K Pro platform. Can anyone help??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home